Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with this delicious, easy-to-make whole wheat Irish soda bread. We boosted the nutrition of this holiday favorite by using whole wheat flour and adding ground flaxseeds rich in omega3 fatty acids.
This yummy bread is a good source of healthy fats for brain power and iron to keep your muscles strong. Enjoy a wedge for snack or afternoon tea. Kids love to eat if plain or topped with their favorite natural fruit spread. Whichever way you like it, we guarantee that it will be a tasty treat!
Happy St. Patrick’s from our table to yours!
1½ cups whole wheat flour
1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
¼ cup ground flaxseeds
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons canola oil
1¼ cups raisins
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
¼ cup agave nectar
Natural fruit spread (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
3. Add canola oil to the dry ingredients and mix well until the oil coats the dry ingredients into crumbly, small pieces resembling the size of peas.
4. Add raisins to the flour mixture.
5. In a separate small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and agave.
6. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and combine.
7. The flour mixture should form a dough. Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and fold it together to form a round loaf.
8. Place the loaf on a greased baking sheet and cut a cross in the top of the loaf with a paring knife.
9. Bake for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350°F, and bake for another 30 minutes until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
10.Cut into 16 wedges and serve plain or with a natural fruit spread for an extra touch of sweetness.
Makes 16 servings (1 oz. wedge per serving).
Nutrition Facts per serving: 190 calories; 5g fat (0g sat fat, 2g mono, 2g poly, 0g trans fats); 15mg cholesterol; 34g carbohydrate (3g fiber, 14g sugar); 5g protein; 220mg sodium; 6% Daily Value (DV) calcium; 10% DV iron.
Stacey Antine, MS, RDN, author, Appetite for Life, founder, HealthBarn USA, director, HealthBarn Foundation, co-host, Family Food Expert Internet Radio Show, and recognized as top 10 dietitians nationally by Today’s Dietitian magazine for her work with HealthBarn USA.